This recipe was published on .
- Prep Time:
- 2 hours 40 minutes
- Cooking Time:
- 10–12 minutes
|warm water||140 ml|
|active dry yeast||3.125 ml|
|granulated sugar, divided||15 ml|
|plain flour||375 ml|
|oil (olive, vegetable, canola)||22.5 ml|
|corn flour (optional)||a dusting|
|butter or margarine, melted||15 ml|
|garlic powder||0.625 ml|
There is a preheat step in this recipe.
- Add warm water, yeast and ½ tsp of the sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and stir gently. Allow to rest for 10 minutes. The yeast should "proof" during this time, meaning the water mixture will get slightly foamy looking, which confirms the yeast is working. If this doesn't happen, your yeast is not fresh, or the water was too hot.
- Add remaining yeast (½ Tbsp + 1 tsp), ¾ cups flour, ¾ tsp salt and oil and mix on medium speed, to combine.
- Add another ¾ cups flour and knead mixture for 5–7 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic. The dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl but still be slightly sticky to the touch.
- Transfer dough to a large, greased bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow to rest in a warm place until double in size (about 1–1½ hours).
- Once risen, punch dough down and divide it into 6 equal parts. Roll each piece of dough into a 9 inch rope and transfer to a greased cookie sheet dusted with corn flour (optional). Cover with plastic wrap and let rise again for 1 hour.
- Bake breadsticks at 220°C/425°F for 10–12 minutes.
- While the breadsticks bake, mix the garlic butter topping ingredients together. Brush butter mixture over the tops of the breadsticks halfway through cooking and again once hot and cooked.
- Serve warm. Store in a airtight container or in the freezer.